Recently the GIZ awarded a tender for Ghana focussed on the development of WEEE recycling chains, business models and capacity as part of the Environmentally Sound Disposal & Recycling of E-Waste (E-Waste Programme) which will run for 24 months in Accra.
Under the guidance and overall project management from the World Resources Forum (WRF), Switzerland and with support from experts working in the
- Demontage- und Recycling-Zentrum (DRZ), Austria
- Recycling Zentrum Frankfurt (GWR), Germany
the SAEWA and selected SAEWA Tier 1 Members (who will form a Technical Advisory Team) will support the successful achievement of the projects three main objectives which are defined as follows:
- Developing a training itinerary, which will serve to train informal sector e-waste recyclers in efficient and safe manual sorting and dismantling practices.
- Through a Training of Trainers (ToT) concept the itinerary and acquired know-how will be embedded in the sector as a long-term process.
- Supporting the setup of the Old Fadama (Agbogbloshie) workshop facility and a feasibility check of alternative income opportunities.
- developing business models for sustainable e-waste recycling in Ghana
- includes the optimization of current practices and the integration of the informal sector.
- additional business models for alternative income opportunities
- systematizing the treatment steps necessary to achieve a sustainable e-waste value chain
For more information please contact the SAEWA